Sammy has been mentioned a few times in my posts, but he really is a good cook, we often tell him to apply for the next season of MasterChef Australia. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of these amazing mussels, but here’s the recipe.
Sammy’s Pot of Mussels
- 1 kg of mussels (scrubbed and debeared)
- 1 onion diced (or eschalot if possible)
- 5cm of galangal (sliced or in cubes) – ginger can be used as a substitute
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 small chilli (depending on your taste for chilli)
- 2 bunches of coriander (finely chop stalks, leaves picked)
- 1 cup of white wine (Dry White Wine – or one that compliments seafood)
- 2 limes (zested and juiced)
- Olive oil
- A splash of fish sauce
- Heat some olive oil in a large pot. Put the onion, garlic and galangal in the pot, and sweat the onion down (add more oil if it’s starting to burn).
- After sweating the onions, add all the mussels in the pot. Add chilli and coriander stalks.
- Add white wine and cover. Stir every once in a while. Add the half the juice and half the coriander leaves.
- Season with a splash of fish sauce & pepper to taste.
- After 20 minutes, all the mussels should have opened. Serve in the pot.
- Garnish with the rest of the coriander leaves and drizzle with the rest of the lime juice.
A note from Sammy – This is quite a simple recipe. The important thing is to have everything prepared 🙂 Enjoy!
This post is related to Cooking Crew Feast.