I love making soup as it is so simple yet so healthy.
I found this Neil Perry of Rockpool recipe on the Qantas Recipe Archive and gave it a go when I had guests over, I served it with some pan-fried croutons topped with parmesan cheese.
Neil Perry’s Cream of Mushroom Soup (Serves 6)
- Olive oil
- 50g unsalted butter
- ½ brown onion, diced
- 1 leek, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- Sea salt
- 500g mushrooms (field, Swiss brown), sliced
- 150ml dry white wine
- 800ml fresh chicken stock (I substituted this with my mum’s Thermomix Vegetable Stock)
- 100ml single (pouring) cream
- Small handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Lemon juice
- Heat the oil and butter in large, heavy based pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, leek, garlic, thyme and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the white wine to pan and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the stock and cook, uncovered, for about 40 minutes or until reduced by half. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer to a blender and puree the soup until smooth.
- To serve, stir in the cream, parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice and check seasoning.