Mmmm relish! I’ve never made relish before, but since we’re having a BBQ this Saturday and we don’t have any ketchup…I thought I’d try my hand at making relish with whatever I had in my pantry using the Thermomix.
- 400g tinned tomatoes, drained (use fresh ones if you have any)
- 1 pear, cored and diced
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 2 garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon of allspice, ground
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- A small handful of sultanas
- A pinch of salt
- 20g cooking oil
- Chop the garlic and in the TM bowl for 3 seconds Speed 7
- Scrape down the sides, add oil, chilli flakes and allspice and saute for 2 minutes 30 seconds, 100 degrees, Speed 1
- Add remaining ingredients, set TM to 25-30 minutes, 100 degrees, Speed 1. Replace MC with TM Steaming Basket to prevent splattering.
- Enjoy it with crackers, bread, meat, toasties, burgers etc!
A few days after I made this, I was at a fruit shop and was shocked that they sell jars of “homemade relish” for $11 each! This one is definitely better for your health and wallet!